By Butch Burney
If you want a crystal ball to see the economic future, you’ll want to catch a glimpse of what the experts are saying at the annual Economic Development Luncheon, scheduled for Wednesday, December 14, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Civic Center of Hopkins County.
Aaron Demerson, commissioner representing employers of the Texas Workforce Commission, is our keynote speaker. Mr. Demerson will present to Hopkins County the Northeast Texas economic outlook for 2023. He advocates for more than 555,000 Texas employers and his office provides a variety of resources, including training and hiring assistance , management and recruitment.
Tickets and tables are available. Sponsor tables are available at three different levels and individual tickets are sold for $20 each. For sponsorship opportunities or individual tickets, contact the Chamber at 903-885-6515 or email [email protected].
Sponsorships must be received by November 25 to be included in the program.
If it’s November, that means Christmas is coming, and the Lions Club will help get you into the Christmas spirit by hosting its 16th Annual Christmas Light Parade on Friday, December 2.
If you would like to register for the parade, contact the Chamber at i[email protected] and we can email you a form. Applications will be classified into three categories: large companies, small companies and non-profit organizations.
The parade will start at 7 p.m.
- Also that day, the city’s Christmas tree will be lit at 5:45 p.m. downtown.
- The Chamber will also be offering free photos with Santa at the Chamber office, 110 Main Street, from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Christmas at Heritage Park will be from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 26 and December 3. Admission is $3; children under 7 are free. You can visit with Santa, see light shows and a live nativity scene, roast marshmallows, and enjoy free hot chocolate and old-fashioned cider. You can also start your Christmas shopping in the country shop!
- RPM Staffing Professionals will host its 2nd Annual Seniors Stockings, with donations directly benefiting Rock Creek Health and Rehabilitation. Donations include but are not limited to lip swabs, books, socks, denture cleanser, hand lotion, etc. Contact RPM at 903-439-1022 or drop off donations at 401 Church St., Suite B.
- Sulfur Springs First Baptist Church will present Christmas at First, a celebration of the sights, sounds and true meaning of Christmas, at 6 p.m. each day on December 10 and 11. Reserve your free tickets at SSFBC.org.
Fresh off of its end-of-season rodeo at the State Fair, the UPRA Rodeo Association will return to
ropin’ and ridin’ the weekend of Nov. 18-19 at the Hopkins County Civic Center.
Performance times are at 7:30 p.m. each night and will include team roping, bareback, saddle bronc, bull riding, ranch bronc, steer wrestling, women’s breakaway, barrel racing and tie-down lasso.
You don’t want to miss the chance to see these cowboys and cowgirls in action.
Be the service
Do you know a family that needs a meal for Thanksgiving? Be The Service is here to help. Join the Hopkins County Christian Alliance on Saturday, November 19 as they distribute 1,000 Thanksgiving meals to those in need. Each box of food comes with a turkey and other items for a Thanksgiving meal.
Food distribution begins at 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. The distribution line begins in the Sulfur Springs High School parking lot. When you arrive, follow the traffic signs. Please also fill in all the information on the registration card that an attendant will give you that morning.
Be The Service is an annual event sponsored by local churches right here in Hopkins County.
Beauty Grace Lifestyle Shop held a ribbon cutting on Friday, November 4 at its new location on
Connally Street, a few doors down from the current building. Please welcome them into their
- The Emory Grange, located at 550 Rain County Road 3425 in Emory, will have a ribbon cutting at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, November 18. After the ribbon cutting, there will be tours with vendors, music and a film. Corner Grubhouse will launch its new breakfast menu at 9 a.m. on Thursday, November 17. Please join us.
- At noon on Thursday, November 17, 101 Barbershop, located at 101 Bill Bradford Drive, will conduct a ribbon cutting. Please help us welcome them.
- Hampton House Jewelry and Rockshop will be hosting a 30th anniversary ribbon cutting at their Main Street boutique at noon on Tuesday, November 22. Help us celebrate their success!