World Street Dance Competition, Red Bull dance your style will make his Chicago debut on friday september 24. The competition will take place at Thalia Hall. Yes, it’s tomorrow!
So come together as a variety of dancers showcase the best moves the Midwest has to offer. Recognizing the region’s indelible contribution to street dance with the creation of footwork and jit, Red Bull Dance Your Style is thrilled to welcome Chicago to its USA lineup to celebrate the city’s unique scene and artists.
Competitors include Queen of Jit Queen Gabyfootwork lover Eddy breakand the Chicago one Nero. The public will enjoy a special presentation by the local footwork team, the era and the dance team, The Drumline & Dance Crew Pack.
Back for another triumphant year, the World Street Dance Competition Red Bull dance your style will make its Chicago debut on Friday, September 24 at Thalia room, Chicago’s nearly 130-year-old landmark. Bringing together the best of hip-hop, house, waacking, popping, krumping, locking down and more, Red Bull Dance Your Style will celebrate the local dance scene and the artists, movers and creators who shape the legacy of Chicago in street dancing.
The best street dancers in the region will compete, via a bracket-style tournament, to a spontaneous soundtrack. An audience of dance enthusiasts will act as the judges, ultimately deciding which dancer will advance from each qualifier to the Red Bull Dance Your Style USA National Finals taking place Friday, October 22 through Saturday, October 23 in Washington DC. Planned choreography, and no pre-chosen music, it’s about embracing the moment, wowing the crowd and moving to the beat.
With the creation of Detroit footwork and jit, the area made an indelible contribution to street dancing. Celebrating the city’s impact on the scene and the local artists pushing street dance forward, competitors include the self-proclaimed Queen of Jit, Queen Gabyfootwork lover Eddy breakand the Chicago one Nero.
The evening will be hosted by BRAVEMOINEmember of the legendary and internationally recognized breaking crew Phaze II Crosstown Crew of Chicago, and DJ based in Chicago, King Mary, will provide a spontaneous soundtrack of mainstream hits to timeless classics for the night. The public will enjoy a special presentation by a local footwork team, the era and the dance team, The Drumline & Dance Crew Pack.
The Red Bull Dance Your Style Chicago Qualifier is open to the public with doors opening at 7 p.m. ET. Tickets are available for purchase here. For those unable to attend, the qualifier will be available to watch AND VOTE via the official live stream partner Caffeine.
Here is the full event schedule:
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Dance your style workshop
- About: Former Red Bull Dance Your Style competitors, Sheopatra and Contempt will focus on teaching various dance techniques and styles, but specifically the unique combat format of Red Bull Dance Your Style global street style competition. You’ll learn how to move, surprise and delight audiences, adapt to the unpredictable tracks of pop culture, and improve your fighting skills to ultimately “wow” the crowd.
- Where: Roof Morgan Manufacturing – 401 N Morgan St.
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.: media dinner
- Where: Eleven | Eleven – 1111 W Lake St, Chicago, IL 60607
7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.: happy hour
- Where: Tack Room (inside Thalia Hall) – 1807 S. Allport St.
8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.: Red Bull Dance Your Style Chicago
- About: Red Bull Dance Your Style is a global series of all-style street dance events with a unique battle format. From hip hop to house, locking to popping, dancers participating in Red Bull Dance Your Style will have to wow the crowd and ultimately earn their vote. Testing freestyle skills and musicality through unpredictable mainstream tunes ranging from recent global hits to classic beats, Red Bull Dance Your Style will let the crowd decide who will rule the dance floor.
- Where: Thalia Hall – 1807 S. Allport St.
- 10:00p – 2:00a: Red Bull Dance Your Style after party
- Where: Blind Barber – 948 W Fulton Market